Thursday, August 12, 2010

Things I thought I would never say

So on my way to work this week I found a tortoise. I full-grown male Russian tortoise named Hank to be exact, well Sam thinks his name is Hank. Anyway I was driving to work and I saw what I thought was a turtle walking down a pretty busy street. I couldn't let a turtle get smooshed so I stopped to pick it up and ferry it to the creek. I picked it up and noticed it was a tortoise and not a turtle. Since I am a veritable fountain of useless knowledge, I know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise and that tortoises are not native to either Missouri or Kansas. So I brought him to work with me.
Turns out Russian tortoises are commonly sold at exotic pet stores and are very good escape artists. They dig and climb.
Yes they love to climb. Hank has taken up residence on our back patio for the time being. He moves pretty fast and spent the first day looking for ways out.
Oh if I could only do a pull up.
Not quite there yet.
They love dandelions and he will pick through the lettuce to eat them first.
So if anyone is missing a tortoise named Hank let us know.

No comments: