Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

It was a beautiful weekend here in KC.  John took his PE on Friday which meant we just relaxed the rest of the weekend.  Here's a few pictures from the festivities.

We did get a little work done - the new front door was fit up but then we had a hardware issue.  John worked on a cabinet for the trailer and slept a lot. It was a nice weekend to take it easy.

Friday, October 21, 2011

The October Garden

At this point it is getting colder and I am hoping for a few more warm months. Our garden gets limited sun and everything, especially the peppers come on late. We had a freeze scare this week so I got things covered best I could. If we get a couple more weeks without freezing there should be a good amount of production left.
Green tomatoes and late season peppers

The hoop houses were put back up this week. The carrots and beets looks good. They need at least a month so hopefully the plastic keeps it warm enough. 

The tomatoes are continuing to grow.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Trailer Inspiration

As I am sitting looking at our crooked trailer, it's time for some inspiration. 1960 to 1962 there were around 200 Holiday House travel trailers produced. Currently there are less than 20 remaining. This is one that got a frame off restoration and has a pretty awesome interior. Enjoy.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Goshen We Have a Problem

With the weather getting colder I'm motivated to get the trailer running so I can get  back into the garage. This week I picked up a temporary light kit and pulled the trailer to get inspected at the highway department. Good news, we passed. It seemed to pull straight and without a problem with the element.

After I got back from the inspection it seemed like the trailer was leaning more than usual. It always had a list towards the right rear due to some rotted wood. However, this seemed to be getting worse.

Upon closer inspection it indeed was looking at little more crunched than previous.

Turns out that the wood I thought was in bad shape, actually wasn't even connected to the frame. So the right rear corner was sitting on the rear bumper. Since a good deal of the structural members are gone and the aluminum isn't very strong, it was crushing at every bump. 

Since I don't want to loose the skin or break a window, this needs to get shored up before I haul it to storage. Well, the temporary solution was jacking up the entire cabin. 

Eight inches of lift later we are back to level. I will have to put in some more secure temporary supports to get it across town to storage. 

Friday, October 7, 2011

Bikes, Trailers, and Doors

We have been slowly plugging along on the on-going projects. The weather in Kansas City has been perfect the last month or so and we have been trying to enjoy it. So here goes.
I pulled the trailer wheels, repacked the bearings, cleaned up and painted the wheels, and got new tires. I should be road-worthy enough to get the title and move to its winter home.

Meanwhile, Sam has been working on our new front door. It was a little hassle getting a plain door to modify. We got a couple kits from Crestview Doors. The top three windows have reeded glass. The long bottom window is a clear viewing window for Portland. 

The other notable news this week was that Sam took on a construction zone with her bike and lost. We ended up in the ER last Thursday getting her checked out. Everything is fine and she is moving better after a few days.